Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Experience with RSS

In general RSS could be one of the most practical ways to save time and effort for the news and knowledge you are in quest of. Depending on what you do and what your area of interest is, choosing the right subscriptions and feeds become critical. It required some time and endurance to find out that the chosen subscriptions are actually what I was expecting them to be or not, and depending on how many of them you have, there could be a lot of things to read every day. But then again, I don't have to read all of them and I can pick and choose according to my time and the necessity of the subject. One specific thing I like about RSS is the fact that I could see the headlines and titles first and then read them if they sounded interesting enough. I also liked how quickly I could obtain a lot of news; local or national. What didn't work was that I couldn't really look for a specific subject or matter and I still have to refer to google or youtube for many things. One thing I would have done differently, I would have maybe limited the number of my subscriptions and also alphabetized it.
In a learning situation, depending on the subject, I would spend more time studing about different blogs and websites relating to that subject and then carefully choose the ones that seem to be beneficial and practical the most and subscribe to those. For example, one site that I picked, called Dental Hygienist jobs, although might be very useful for some people, is one of those things that I would probably remove it from my google reader sometime soon. There hasn't been one single job offer in it for the state of Iowa eversince I have checked this site, plus I don't learn anything from it. On the other hand, edu.blog.com consists of many short and sweet segments, easy to follow and includes interesting materials to read and watch.
Overal, I am thankful for this great creation, RSS. I would give it a two thumbs up and it is a keeper.


No comments: